Job Title: Accountant (Contract)
Reports To: Senior team member
Department: Development Accounting &Cash Management
Join a dynamic team that is involved in almost all transactions.This position is exposed to many learning opportunities. Some of the functions of this position include dealing with Financial Institutions, reconciling bank accounts, recording of loan advances, invoicing, budgeting and variance analysis, cost accounting, reporting to management and ensuring that all records are organized, accurate and filed appropriately.
Through a combination of performing functions and shadowing Senior team members, this position will enable you to gain a full understanding of the Development Accounting & Cash Management functions.
The position calls for a strong team player who can manage multiple tasks as changes occur and use problem solving skills to meet the requirements of both management and stakeholders.
• Prepare and record bank transfers and loan advances (online banking and manual)
• Prepare and key journal entries to record various accounting transactions
• Reconcile bank accounts monthly and as required
• Responsible for retrieving any filed or archived documentation (i.e. cancelled cheques, bank statements) for management, other departments, and/or audits.
• Prepare invoices for Timebillings, Development, Leasing, Disposition and Acquisition fees; as per various agreements on a timely basis;
• Prepare Chargeback invoices and submit to properties as per various agreements on a timely
• Assist with the preparation and analysis of supporting documentation for the G&A Budget and variances.
• Assist with Year-end working paper files for submission to auditors (Internal/External)
• Assist with the preparation of “Development Status Reports” (summary of actual development costs compared to contracts and proformas) for a portfolio of developing projects;
• Assist with the preparation, review and analyze cash flows, cost variances, equity requirements, and fee payments;
• Assist with the preparation and submission of monthly draws to various lending institutions such as CIBC, Scotiabank, TD and Manulife in conjunction with loan facilities arranged for each development property;
• Assist with the preparation of cash calls, to partners / co-owners for properties under development;
• Prepare cost analysis in accordance with agreements and business unit requirements;
• Prepare and deliver monthly/quarterly development reporting to partners / co-owners;
• This position requires multi-tasking and the ability to respond to situations that require immediate attention
• Be willing to perform regular duties and assist in other areas within our broader team when necessary
• Assist with the conversion of the Accounting System as necessary
• Administrative duties including, scanning, photocopying, filing, preparing reports.
• Meet and/or exceed all personal goals, objectives and achieving tasks as outlined in your annual review
• College or University diploma/degree in accounting related discipline
• Minimum 2 to 3 years accounting experience – 1 to 2 years property accounting experience would be preferred;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate across all levels within, as well as outside the organization
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work
• Office work experience considered an asset
The Accountant (Contract) must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally.The Accountant (Contract) shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests.The Accountant (Contract) shall demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities, demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. The Accountant (Contract) is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goals.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted about an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.