Job Title: Claims Associate
Reports To: Director, Insurance & Risk Management
Manage and oversee all activities that relate to all claims, including property and liability insurance claims. Responsible for collection of information for each claim, reporting to insurers, liaising with adjusters and lawyers, preparing reports for the Department and Executive and ensuring all costs are recovered where possible.
• Manage claims and various problems and make recommendations for approval, as required;
• Provide information and assist the Director in the preparation of a Policies and Procedures Manual involving risk management;
• Handle claims administration, including the development of performance standards, claims reviews and audits;
• Work with your internal team to manage insurance carriers for non-complex claims by assisting in their investigation, payment determination and processing;
• Frequent contact with other departments and outside parties such as insurance companies, and tenants; Sometimes deal with unclear requests for information;
• Be initial point of contact and liaison with internal and external parties regarding all insurance claim matters;
• Involve legal departments where Proof of Loss and Releases are required;
• Priorities shift frequently, most often due to instruction from senior management with some disruptions from other staff;
• Decisions taken have a significant impact, may have some accounting and financial transaction responsibilities;
• Manage, review and report all claims information to the Director and VP Operations including estimated costs and deductibles paid;
• Work with the accounting department to manage all payment requirements relating to deductibles, insurance expenses, and track all payments and credits to ensure accounts are in good standing;
• Handle all third-party recovery claims with Insurers, which includes the collection of payments;
• Coordinate processing of claim payments with all parties involved such as; insurance carriers and accounts receivable department;
• Decisions have a significant impact on the results of one or more projects or departments, makes some financial decisions;
• Set up and organize a filling system for all open and closed files, which includes the collection of information with respect to claimants, project managers, adjusters, attorneys and insurance companies;
• Assist the Director in developing, implementing and maintaining a risk management and loss prevention program, ensuring involvement and input from HR, Business Units, and the Property & Regional Managers, as required, to ensure effective management and prevention of risks;
• Arrange for quarterly or semi-annual meetings with the Property Management Team and VP, Operations to discuss risk management procedures and to discuss status of claims;
• Degree or Business Administration Certificate or equivalent combination of technical training and / or related experience.
• Minimum 3 years of experience, preferably in the Insurance Claims and Risk area;
• Experience in the Real Estate Industry is an asset;
• Knowledge of Insurance Principles and Practices used in the Real Estate Industry;
• CIP designation/working towards designation/ or willing to attain it;
• Knowledge of Accounting principles would be an asset;
• Ability to prioritize workload and effectively meet deadlines;
• Strong attention to detail and conscientious aptitude;
• Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to effectively communicate across all levels of management within the company as well as outside the organization;
• Proficient in MS Word, and Excel with the ability to create complex spreadsheets.
The Position must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally.The Position shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests.The Position shall demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities; demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results.The Position is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted about an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.